Saturday, November 22, 2008

You Knew This Was Coming...

If you follow college football and you know me at all....you knew this post was coming. Please, don't make the mistake of reading this if you are a sensitive BYU fan and can't handle a little bit of trash talk-some of you are my favorite and most loved family members (although you may feel differently about ME after reading this). I would expect no less from anyone else had the game ended differently (humph, as if)? Now that I've posted a warning - enjoy - Ute fans!


We knew the game would be intense and to illustrate, I bring up the confrontation that took place before the clock even started. For whatever reason, BYU does a Maori dance, or prayer (the haka), meant to intimidate the opposing team before their games. Which seems weird to me because most of the players are not of Maori descent. Well, some of the Utes of similar descent felt like it was disrespectful, especially the thought of a bunch of white boy Cougs doing it on their field. Do you really blame them? So, as the twinkle toes gathered to start they were forcefully ushered off the field by some of the Utah players. Bless their hearts, it looked like they were being shooed and told to "go play somewhere else". I was delighted.
The game got started and it seemed like it was going to be another battle back and forth with both teams scoring one after the other...except Utah had scored first and stayed in front of BYU the whole game. This pict is funny because we can't seem to get one of Tony with both eyes open, so during half time we started practicing. I would count and he would intentionally try to keep both eyes open....this is what I ended up with.....

Oh well...it was good for a laugh. Anyway, I'd like to pause for just a second and thank Austin Collie for my latest brilliant idea for a new Utah tee shirt. "Livin Right in 2008"
Utah Football
BCS Busters
This picture was taken incognito and because we thought it was funny. (If you haven't yet, stop reading now Coug fans). I was nervous about this game initially due to the infamous lack of respect shown between both fan groups in the past. Well, I didn't see or hear anything much worse than a normal Utah game and yeah, ha ha Cougs, it was never that bad to begin with. At one low point (mostly for the Cougs) a Coug made an illegal and dangerous tackle. It could have seriously hurt BOTH players. Now, I'm by no means a football know-it-all but would have NEVER cheered at the idea of such a dangerous tackle hurting someone-ANYONE, Cougs included. Wouldn't you know that the "smart" chick featured in this pict whooped it up...even in the face of fellow Cougs that were shaking their heads. Hmmm, at this point I revisit the idea of getting rid of BYU sports. I say this not because I hate BYU (although I do-make no mistake) but because I've lived in areas of the world that associate BYU with all Mormons. I'm Mormon and happy to be, EXCEPT when I am so poorly represented by BYU and their fans and players...more on this to come.

In this picture the game had just ended. You'll notice our fans rushed the field for the third time this year (Oregon State, TCU, BYU). The rush was met by a few poor sport losers (the ones in white uniforms), who chose to push the rowdy Utah fans rather than get off the field. Yes, this was also caught by a news camera...a nice Coug went so far as to knock a girl flat on her back. Now I'm not so blind as to believe that the fans weren't saying anything rude to instigate something, but how dare these self-proclaimed "Mormon ambassadors" act so foolishly? Actually, in the clip I saw, one of the fans that got pushed was just standing on the sidelines not saying a word. What cracks me up is that security took down the goal posts before the game was officially over. That's the real slap in the face Cougs. Let's just end the charade and get rid of BYU sports. Who's with me?
Well the game ends and as you can see by the scoreboard Utah spanked BYU. I love this pict and sleep with it under my pillow. :) You can barely see the U lit up on the mountain in the background but look close it's there.

Here I had finally convinced Tony to rush the field with me. In order to do so we had to drop down a nine foot wall with an overhang. Tony went first and as you can see by his blurry hand he had started to fall....that's when I got this pict....

Yep, that's my T, hanging on. My drop went only slightly more smoothly.

After a near fatal drop, we walked around looking for players still on the field. We just happened to find Paul Kruger. Just so you know, this is one of Tony's favorite players and he had a killer game. In fact, I had just bought T Kruger's jersey for Christmas and was going to have it autographed for him. (I know a guy). Anyway, I had him try on the jersey before the game just to make sure it fit. He liked it and wanted to wear it to the game. As we were walking towards Kruger I said, "you should get his autograph." T replies, "I don't have anything for him to sign." I pulled a "DUH!" face and said, "the jersey!" Well, here is Kruger autographing T's jersey. We were like kids on Christmas - and Max Hall was Santa the way he was handing out picks.

And finally, here I am. It might look like we were one of the last ones to leave, because we were. We didn't want the night to be over, what kind of kid wants Christmas to end? So, the regular season is over. I'm sure you'll miss all my Utah football posts till next season. Oh wait, there's still the little matter of the BCS game. Yep folks, we're going and you can bet you'll get a post. Till the next game....GO UTES!

Now that I'm done Cougs, if you've made it this far, I have no doubt you'll want to leave a nice comment. Go ahead...I'm ready.

5 comments:

Christina said...

This is hilarious, Shannan and WELL stated! I can't believe that about the Coug fans, actually I can, I've witnessed it before many times, but seriously, they are the worst sore losers! Probably the biggest reason I hate BYU too!

GO UTES!!!

Shay said...

You are so awesome! I would absolutely have to agree with you about getting rid of BYU sports. There's no need to have them around. In our ward we are the only U fans. Jeremy wore a bright red dress shirt and had both boys wear red also. We had a couple of "bad" losers in our ward. It makes us laugh! GO UTES!

D-Crew said...

Shan!! I love that you were the last to leave!! Awesome!! I have some stories of being spit on by young BYU fans.
I love that you rushed the field also!! And good work getting the autograph!! LOVE IT!!
ps-No need to get rid of BYU when they make us look good!!

bikerbabe said...

I deserve a reward for bravery. I read all your trashy comments about my beloved alma mater. Well, in the interest of family unity I did speed read some of them. I can only assume that some evil genie has taken over your blog. I was going to root for the U in the sugar bowl, but now I"m rooting for Bama big time. Yours brokenheartedly , Gramcam

Shannan said...

like my girls say, Gram Cam..."sorry Sparky"