Sunday, December 28, 2008

Annual Memorial Chris Keyes Birthday Sledding Party

A few years ago my older brother, Chris, decided to celebrate his birthday with a family sledding party. It was so fun, we decided to do it every year. Then he moved. I think we may have done it one other time since then, but we talk about it every year. I got sick of all the talking and, because we live on a golf course, I decided it was time to restart the tradition with or without Chris in town.

My little sister, Lori. She thought we would be "out of bounds" sledding in the backcountry so she wore her good hunting pants. Nobody shot at us thanks to her. She thinks of everything.


As you enter the sledding area, the golf course has a posted sign that basically reads: Area Closed to Sledding. Here we are walking right past it with the rest of the trespassers.


Our Faithy likes to do her own thing-if you hadn't noticed. She wanted to find the perfect sledding spot all by herself, so she went on alone. My favorite part of this pic is the background with the snowy mountains and the Great Salt Lake. You can't see our house, but it's just off to the left about a half a mile.


Mia's favorite part of sledding is all the snow she gets to roll around in and eat (when we're not watching).

Faithy, on the other hand, LOVES to sled and even squeals "wahoo" as she slides down the hill backwards.


This sledding hill is shaped like an uneven bowl. If you go fast enough you can make it back up the other side and down another hill. After Tony's failed attempt, I tried. I can't prove it because nobody got a picture, or even saw me, but I made it all the way down the smaller hill and almost into a tree. Later, Tony told me they got distracted and by the time they tried to find me and take the pic I popped up behind them asking "Did you see that"? Yes sir, I went that fast and discovered where Faith learned how to squeal "wahoo".

Thanks, Chris, for starting a fun tradition. We'll expect you to pick up right where you left off when you are back from Tennessee. We miss you.

0 comments: